Jump to content
Carers Trust Logo - site opens in a new window

Who does what?

Social workers

How they could help

Some people think that social workers want to take children into care. This is not true – social workers only ever find new homes for children if they are in danger at home and there is no other way of keeping them safe. Social workers can help you by:

  • Giving you an “assessment” of what help you need. An assessment is not a test - it is just a chat with a social worker about what help you would like. They will write down what you say and try to find the help that you ask for. You can choose someone else to be there with you at the assessment and you can do choose where it will happen. Sometimes social workers cannot find the help you are asking for.
  • Finding more help for the person you look after so. If the person you look after has a social worker already, tell them about all the things you do to help and how you feel. Ask them to give your family more help, so you can spend more time having fun with friends or doing school work.

If you have a Young Carers Project near you, they will help you talk to a social worker if you want.

You can ask a social worker to help you by phoning your local Social Services Department (Social Work Department in Scotland). Their number will be in the phone book. They will probably need to do an assessment.