How can teachers help me?
You could ask them to:
- Give you extra time to hand work in when the person you are looking after is ill.
- Let you use the school phone or your mobile to call the person you are looking after without having to explain why each time.
- Go in to lunch early if you need to get home at lunchtime.
- Do detentions inside school time so that you can get home to look after someone.
- Help your parents get to parents’ evenings if they have trouble leaving the house.
- Not ask you about your home life when other people are listening.
- Give people lessons about disability, mental health problems or drug/ alcohol problems but don’t let other people in the class know about your home life.
- Help you if you are getting bullied.